HomeAbout MeArchivesBooks I CraveChallengesRating SystemPolicyContact

Saturday, December 12, 2009

Book List! (Finally)

So I've been promising for like a month to post a list of the books I received at the Million Dollar Book Sale, and I have finally done it (with some help from my sister)! But first, I want to tell you a little about this book sale.

The Boys & Girls Clubs of the Tennessee Valley has paired up with American Book Company to do a book sale a couple of times a year. The Boys & Girls Clubs is a fantastic organization that focuses on children and teens. They have facilities for kids to go after school during the school year and all day during the summer. They help teach different skills and help with homework, the have activities and fitness/sports, they give attention to the arts, life skills, health, leadership and character building, career development, and that's just some of what they help with. As a kid I went to one of the local clubs and it was one of the best times I had. American Book Company has decided to help them each year by sponsoring this event.

The event itself is basically a huge room filled with tables and boxes of books, and for $40 you can go through and fill the box with as many books as you can fit. The only catch is the flaps have to close! Either way the boxes can hold anywhere from 30+ books! I went this past February, I spent about 3 hours there and came home with about 40 or so books (you can see that list here), so when I went this time I knew I'd do well.

This time though, the building was about twice the size as the last one and aside from the ares of kids books had no real sense of organization, so me and my best friend who agreed to go as long as I let him get a few books, set out in search of whatever we might find. So onto what we did find!

  • A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray (paperback)
  • A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini (paperback) [Somewhere around here I have a copy of The Kite Runner, so I figured I should go ahead and get it]
  • Before I Die by Jenny Downham (hardcover)
  • Blood Roses by Francesca Lia Block (hardcover)
  • Cathy’s Book by Sean Stewart/Jason Weisman (hardcover) [I thought I'd check the first two out before I decided if getting the third book was worth it, plus they didn't have it :P]
  • Cathy’s Key by Sean Stewart/Jason Weisman (hardcover)
  • Cheating at Solitaire by Ally Carter (paperback) [Never read one of her's before!]
  • Good Girls by Laura Ruby (hardcover) [I've read Play Me and I wanted to check out more of her stuff. Anyone read it?]
  • Heat of the Night by Emma Holly (paperback)
  • House of Dance by Beth Kephart (hardcover)
  • If Andy Warhol Had a Girlfriend by Alison Pace (paperback)
  • Likely Story by David Van Etten (hardcover) [He's a writer for One Life to Live, and I'm a sucker for it, so I had to check out at least the first book.]
  • Manhattan Noir: The Classics 2 by Various authors (paperback)
  • Marley and Me by John Grogan (hardcover) [It's also the Collectors one with the pretty cloth cover and ribbon bookmark, plus pictures of Marley. It's adorable!]
  • Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult (hardcover) [I bought a paperback way back when it first came out as one, and I loved it so much! So I just had to get the hardcover when I saw it!]
  • Playing by Melanie Abrams (paperback)
  • Pledged by Alexandra Robbins (paperback) [I actually got a hardcover of this last time, but I forgot!]
  • Rebel Angels by Libba Bray (hardcover)
  • Rumors: A Luxe Novel by Anna Godbersen (hardcover) [I've got a paperback already, but my copy of The Luxe is in hardcover and I like to be consistent.]
  • Sisters in Sanity by Gayle Forman (hardcover)
  • The Book of Atrix Wolfe by Patricia A. McKillip (paperback) [I have a couple of her books, and I've heard they're great, so we'll see!]
  • The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (hardcover) [Another book that I have a paperback copy of already]
  • The Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy Fowler (paperback)
  • The Mammoth Book of Vampire Romance by Various Authors (paperback)
  • The Scent of Your Breath by Melissa P. (paperback)
  • Thursday Next by Jasper Fforde (paperback) [I have one of these Thursday novels already]
  • Undead and Uneasy by Mary Janice Davidson (hardcover)
  • Undead and Unpopular by Mary Janice Davidson (hardcover) [Last time I got one of these, so I'm collecting until I can get them all! So three down, five to go!]
  • Violet and Claire by Francesca Lia Block (paperback)

I also got three or four cook books (a couple of which were diabetic cookbooks, because my dad was diagnosed as diabetic a few months ago and so we're trying to come up with stuff. So if anyone has any recommendations or recipes they would like to share, I would greatly appreciate it!). I got this really cute Art of Belly Dancing thingy that has the little finger cymbals in it (I wanted those darn cymbals!). And my best friend ended up with five or six books.

So all in all, I did about the same, give or take a couple. Either way, $40 is a steal for all the books I got! Now if I can just get my review pile down to a reasonable level, I can read a few! So when that happens, any suggestions on where to start? If you've read any of them, what are your thoughts?

And by the way, some of these will be for giveaways down the line, and some were intentionally bought to be given away, so there's an incentive to giving me your thoughts!

And now I think I'm just babbling...so I'm done!


♥♥♥

2 comments:

  1. Wow, you seriously scored! There are some great titles. I loved the MJD undead series, fun,easy reads. You need to join me in my Bottoms Up challenge, my TBR is out of hand too! My goal is to tackle it in 2010.

    Elie (Ellz Readz)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh, nice books! Totally envious of that sale. As many books as your can fit in a box for $40?! I'd be there. And I though Good Girls was good. :)
    Anyways, best of luck with your TBR pile!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Comments are always appreciated!