HomeAbout MeArchivesBooks I CraveChallengesRating SystemPolicyContact

Thursday, December 24, 2009

Holiday Break Reading Challenge: Activity #7!

So I've actually kinda slacked off on my first reading challenge. (I fell, my sister got sick and had to go to the hospital, and last minute shopping have made reading impossible) But I am hoping to fix it this week.

And in getting back on track, this is Activity #7! The activity is to pick the best and worst book to movie adaptations you've seen. So here's mine. And I will explain a bit on why I picked both.

Best: Speak

Photobucket Photobucket

It wasn't a blockbuster or even a theater release, it was actually a Lifetime movie. Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson is one of my favorite books of all time, it's so beautiful and so powerful, and the movie captured the story so well. Kristen Stewart starred in it and despite her role in Twilight, her role as Melinda in Speak showed just how talented she really is. This is my favorite book to movie adaptation, and few have been able to capture the original story anywhere near as well as Speak managed to. If you're never seen it, I highly recommend picking it up. You won't regret it.

Worst: My Sister's Keeper

Photobucket Photobucket

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult is one of the few (and first) books to ever make me cry, and I don't just mean a few tears, I mean this book made me need Kleenex kind of cry. But the movie did not live up to the expectations the book had set. I couldn't buy into Cameron Diaz being a mother or portraying the type of role she did, and the fact that they changed the end, among so many other things, just made me annoyed and angry over anything else. This was one of those books that was tragically perfect, but the movie mostly made me annoyed and bored. I know there are some that loved the movie, but I would have preferred them to stick closer to the book and not try to make it so "Hollywood" like they did. This is not something I would ever willingly sit through again.

6 comments:

  1. I agree with Speak. I love that movie so much and feel it gives the book justice. I have the My Sister's Keeper (the movie) here to watch but I have not read the book. Thanks for the heads up! =]

    ~Lizzie
    The Book Obsession

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just saw Speak the other day and LOVED it! What a great movie. I'll have to check out the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked Speak a lot. I didn't even know that there was a movie. I'll have to look for it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I learned something today! I didn't know a movie was made of this book. I'll have to try and catch it on Lifetime. I haven't read the book yet though it's in my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was THIS close to listing SPEAK as my best book to movie adaptation, but didn't at the last minute. Anyway, I loved it. I haven't read or watched MY SISTER'S KEEPER yet.
    Thanks for posting.
    Karin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for you book recommended, Nice book. I will get one.

    We wish to you and all blogger Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

    "Have a fantastic holiday"

    Regard,
    Great Sales Today Manhattan, NY
    'Management Team'

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Comments are always appreciated!