HomeAbout MeArchivesBooks I CraveChallengesRating SystemPolicyContact

Friday, May 21, 2010

Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce

Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce
Release Date: June 7, 2010
Publisher: Little, Brown
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 336
Overall: Photobucket

If you’re a giggly, attractive young girl, then the last thing you should do is talk to that guy outside the club that’s cute and is paying so much attention to you. What you should do is get into a very large crowd of people and don’t leave with anyone, but to Scarlett March’s dismay, the world doesn’t work that way. Scarlett vows to protect her sister, Rosie, and the rest of the world from the dangers that lurk around every corner, and in every shadow…Fenris.

Scarlett has not only vowed to protect their small town and large cities from the Fenris, but she’s also vowed revenge on the Fenris that took her eye, when she was protecting her sister when they were kids. With Scarlett armed with a hatchet and Rosie with her knives, the girls use bright red cloaks and their feminine charm to lure and destroy any and all wolf that takes a step into their small town.

Rosie has always stood by her sister; she’s always had a bond with her sister that made them seem more like one heart, one soul, and not two separate people. But now, Rosie is starting to want more out of life than hunting Fenris. When Silas, a young woodsman and their lifelong friend, returns to town, Rosie is drawn to him in a way she never thought possible. The problem with that is, if she falls in love with Silas it means she’s betraying her sister and going against everything they’ve all spent their lives fighting for.

When I got my hands on Sisters Red, I could wait to tear into it because I just knew I was going to love it, but a couple of chapters in I found myself terrified of it. A few chapters later, I decided I could love it and be terrified of it, and that’s how I felt the entire time through. Jackson has created this world that isn’t so much different from ours, it’s just an addition on ours and that addition is werewolves that prey on unsuspecting girls.

Sisters Red is full of lust and desire, whether it’s got to do with wanting another person or prey, or just something more out of life than fear or revenge. Part of our story takes place in Atlanta, and once the sisters and Silas take off for the big city, to a seedy apartment to hunt the Fenris, they get more than they bargain for. They find that things aren’t always what they seem and that everyone has secrets, no matter how well you think you know them.

Jackson Pearce not only created a dangerous and sexy world, but she also told it in a way that didn’t lose its excitement. Sisters Red is told in alternating perspectives (or voices, as I prefer to call it), you hear from both Rosie and Scarlett and they are two of the strongest protagonists that I’ve read about in any piece of literature. The March sisters are two characters that aren’t easily forgotten and that leave a mark on your mind even when you’re done reading their story.

I adored Rosie and how compassionate and loving she is and how much she would rather hurt herself than even consider hurting her sister. Scarlett is beautiful in her own right and I think her scars and missing eye, make me love her as a character even more, plus she is just all kinds of kick ass!

Sisters Red is definitely one of my favorite books of the year and has me stalking Jackson’s Twitter and YouTube for even a mention of her companion novel, Sweetly. If werewolves aren’t normally your thing, give Sisters Red a shot, I promise it will change your mind! And to show you just how profound and totally awesome Scarlett is, I’m going to leave you with one of my favorite quotes, and it pertains to not only the story, but also to life in general:

“No, this is not a mistake. This is a hard, and perhaps cruel, necessity.” (page 323, Sisters Red, ARC)

Plot: Photobucket
Writing: Photobucket
Characters: Photobucket
Ending: Photobucket
Cover: Photobucket
---------------------------------------------------------------
I received this book as part of Around the World Tours.

Also, today happens to be Jackson's birthday, so don't forget to take a picture of you and your copy when you buy Sisters Red and wish her a Happy Birthday!

2 comments:

  1. EAK - I am sooo excited to get my hands on a copy of this book, awesome review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt the same way about her book-I couldn't stop thinking about it once I finished it and sent it to the next person on the tour. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Comments are always appreciated!